View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Paul Gilbert/NAMM 1993: Left Handed, Pickup Singing Video 
Queen Dork of the board

Post Paul Gilbert/NAMM 1993: Left Handed, Pickup Singing Video
Just found this in my nightly YouTube raids...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbPpeThU5CA

The infamous Namm Jam! 1993. Shawn Lane, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, etc.

Paul's "playing left-handed, sweeping with his teeth, and soloing by singing in to the pickups". Pure genius.

Download and Enjoy... what a gem!

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:34 am
Viking Kong

I spur stoic ass juice fossile !

Sat Oct 04, 2008 10:14 am
Queen Dork of the board

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flying-dino on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:00 am
Viking Kong

well, here is the previous topic about that video:

http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtop ... eft+handed

but the video that is linked in this thread has been taken down.

so even though it's a repost, you provided us with a new link that works.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:28 am
God Of The Sun

Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Queen Dork of the board

> even though it's a repost, you provided us with a new link that works.
I am sorry for accidentally reposting, but I am un-sorry for providing a link which works, so... it's all good! Glad I can be of help to the board and not be a complete n00b. :)

This video 0wns on so many levels it's not even funny... what a treat.

Paul is NOT playing leftie. He *appears to be* playing left-handed. That's part of the joke.
And - at the very end of the song, he takes his guitar off, reverses it to right so he can play it, thinks about it for a second, then takes it off and waits for the end of the song. LOL. Class act... with tassel fringe!

Here's another total gem from Paul, but this one is from October 1 2008.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjqofMsXpEE

Watch the video, it's awesome. I knew he'd have to sneak a Beatles song in, here and there...
He appears to have been in a fantastic mood in Stockholm. Either that, or people just never filmed all his crazy "between songs ideas" before. This one required a human capo. Brilliant, just brilliant.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:52 pm
Viking Kong

errr...y is paul playin leftie?

He actually turned his guitar's volume down so he didn't really have to play. He wanted to stand out a little because there was a bunch of guitars already and there was too much noise so no one would hear him if he played rhythm anyway.

Then, he sung into the pickups after stepping on a footswitch for more gain.

So, he was playing left handed and sung into his pickups to stand out, and that's why he did it. Just to stand out.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:14 pm
Dr. X

Gilbert truly is a king, the man was born with something that no amount of teaching could give,he is awesome but has no ego!! that video sounded like a crock of shit considering who was there, too many cooks i suppose, i am sure that is why Paul, had the humour to do something noone else would have thought of

Last edited by mattanna on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:25 pm
Queen Dork of the board

Here's the quote directly from Paul regarding the video:

Rockcor: This is not the first time you are touring with Satriani. How far does your association go?

Paul Gilbert: The first time I ever played with Joe was at a NAMM show, which is like an annual musical instrument fair in California. And that must have been mid-nineties – 1993 or 1994, I think. I'm thinking of the haircut I had… Maybe 1996. And there was a party for Ibanez, we both endorse Ibanez guitars, so there were a lot of Ibanez endorsers on stage at the same time. At that particular concert I remember there were seven guitar players on stage. There was Joe, Steve Vai, myself, a bunch of other amazing guitar players, and I thought, "It's incredible to have so many great guitar players, but the trouble is – there are too many guitar players. It's going to be too noisy, you are not going to be able to hear anybody, because they all play at the same time." So I thought, really the only thing that is going to matter is how we look. Because there are going to be a lot of photographers, they are going to try to get a picture of all of us. So I decided, it doesn't matter how we sound, so I'm gonna play left-handed. And I can't play left-handed at all. But people are going to see the photos and go, "Oh my god, Paul is playing left-handed!" So I just turned my guitar off completely and pretended I was playing, because there were six other guys, they didn't need me to play. Eventually it did come to a place where I had to do a solo, so I had two distortion boxes, so I turned them all the way up which makes the guitar extremely sensitive, the smallest sound comes up really loud. And I put the guitar to my mouth which makes me look like I'm playing with my teeth. So I just sang to the pick-up which sounded like a giant electric kazoo, and just went "Uuuuuuuhhhhhh-loooo-looo-uhhhhh", and I sang the solo while pretending that I moved my fingers, and the audience was stunned: "Paul is playing left-handed with his teeth, oh my god!" So that was the first time I met Joe. He, of course, knew what I was doing. And he thought it was pretty funny. Hopefully made a good impression.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:28 pm
Godzilla

errr...y is paul playin leftie?

Cause lefties rule :D

Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:42 pm
God Of The Sun

Here's the quote directly from Paul regarding the video:

Rockcor: This is not the first time you are touring with Satriani. How far does your association go?

Paul Gilbert: The first time I ever played with Joe was at a NAMM show, which is like an annual musical instrument fair in California. And that must have been mid-nineties – 1993 or 1994, I think. I'm thinking of the haircut I had… Maybe 1996. And there was a party for Ibanez, we both endorse Ibanez guitars, so there were a lot of Ibanez endorsers on stage at the same time. At that particular concert I remember there were seven guitar players on stage. There was Joe, Steve Vai, myself, a bunch of other amazing guitar players, and I thought, "It's incredible to have so many great guitar players, but the trouble is – there are too many guitar players. It's going to be too noisy, you are not going to be able to hear anybody, because they all play at the same time." So I thought, really the only thing that is going to matter is how we look. Because there are going to be a lot of photographers, they are going to try to get a picture of all of us. So I decided, it doesn't matter how we sound, so I'm gonna play left-handed. And I can't play left-handed at all. But people are going to see the photos and go, "Oh my god, Paul is playing left-handed!" So I just turned my guitar off completely and pretended I was playing, because there were six other guys, they didn't need me to play. Eventually it did come to a place where I had to do a solo, so I had two distortion boxes, so I turned them all the way up which makes the guitar extremely sensitive, the smallest sound comes up really loud. And I put the guitar to my mouth which makes me look like I'm playing with my teeth. So I just sang to the pick-up which sounded like a giant electric kazoo, and just went "Uuuuuuuhhhhhh-loooo-looo-uhhhhh", and I sang the solo while pretending that I moved my fingers, and the audience was stunned: "Paul is playing left-handed with his teeth, oh my god!" So that was the first time I met Joe. He, of course, knew what I was doing. And he thought it was pretty funny. Hopefully made a good impression.

Super awesome!! Great quote.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:05 pm
King Of The Monsters

Don´t think I´ve read it before!!!

Image Image

Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Queen Dork of the board

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by flying-dino on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:36 pm
Viking Kong

Oh yeah, don't worry if this is a repost. I tend to watch this video EVERY TIME its re-posted cause I enjoy it a lot.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:10 am
Queen Dork of the board

Last edited by flying-dino on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:24 am
Viking Kong

wasn't it talking about Paul that Satch said: "we're never gonna let this guy up here again" and then talked to Paul pointing at his guitar: "forget it!"

Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:32 am
Queen Dork of the board

Last edited by flying-dino on Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:43 am
Godzilla

Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]