View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 How did I stumble upon Racer X? 
Viking Kong

Post How did I stumble upon Racer X?
I think the year was '87, and a fellow musician had a subscription to some guitar mag back when they had the free records inside. One side was frenzy, the other, Scarified. Knowing that I loved over-the-top guitar playing, he played "name the artist" with me.

The moment he put frenzy on, I wanted to say "Yngwie" but I bit my tongue. There was no heavily drenched reverb in his sound. He played cleaner, and had more aggressive distortion! He didn't keep repeating himself. No, this was none other than Paul Gilbert!

I thought the name sounded vaguely familiar. (Ibanez advertisement?)
When he flipped to side b, Scarified, I absolutely loved the beginning drum beat when Scott hits something (not quite a cowbell). That song just wasted ass! We nick-named it "the frying pan song". Scarified would have been much faster. Just what DID Scott hit, anyway?

Then the guitars chug right in time with the drums, including the little stuttering triplet beat, astonishing harmonizing phrases, and screaming, hurtful leads! I was quickly sold!

This guy not only made guitar playing exiting for me again, but the songs in general had absolutely bashing hooks! Great solid hard heavy rock!

Good music AND good leads? Who would've thought?

Last edited by Rich on Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:27 pm
Godzilla

Post Re: How did I stumble upon Racer X?
Rich L. wrote:
...When he flipped to side b, Scarified, I absolutely loved the beginning drum beat when Scott hits something (not quite a cowbell). That song just wasted ass! We nick-named it "the frying pan song". Scarified would have been much faster. Just what DID Scott hit, anyway?
Nothing. The drummer on "Street Lethal" was Harry Gschoesser. But I wonder what that noise was, too.

Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:45 pm
Site Admin

Rich L. wrote:
drum beat when Scott hits something (not quite a cowbell). Just what DID Scott hit, anyway?

I always thought it was a bass harmonic by John....but I'll see Scott on Thursday and ask him.

Regards,
Ken

Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:31 pm
Profile WWW
King Of The Monsters

KenHower wrote:
Rich L. wrote:
drum beat when Scott hits something (not quite a cowbell). Just what DID Scott hit, anyway?

I always thought it was a bass harmonic by John....but I'll see Scott on Thursday and ask him.

I think the same.
An answer to that will be terrific!

BTW, glad to have ya here Rich L!

Image Image

Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:57 pm
Profile WWW
God Of The Sun

It almost sounds like a reverb drenched rimshot. Let us know Ken!!!

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

It almost sounds like a reverb drenched rimshot. Let us know Ken!!!

Ha! Good one! I guess reverb can also be our friend, if we let it.

Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:31 pm
Viking Kong

Thanks for the welcome, folks. You may have guessed, I'm brand new to message boards. I've never been on ANY message board before. I'm not new to Racer-X, though. Originally, I wanted my topic to fall into the "Why did you start listening to Racer-X" category, but this is my beginner's luck. I accidentally started a whole new topic. Thanks for toleratin' my newness.

Wed Jul 28, 2004 3:42 pm
Site Admin

We already have a why did you start listening to Racer X topic...it was more fun to talk about the mystery noise.

Regards,
Ken

Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Viking Kong

That thing on Scarified is a bass harmonic. John Alderete clicks on his Compression Sustainer to push the harmonic even more.

He explains about it on his instructional video. You see him do it when they play Scarified.

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:37 pm
Viking Kong

That thing on Scarified is a bass harmonic. John Alderete clicks on his Compression Sustainer to push the harmonic even more.

He explains about it on his instructional video. You see him do it when they play Scarified.
Well I'll be darned. This whole time I thought Scott was hittin' a fryin' pan.
So John has an instructional too? (I shouldn't be surprised)
Who are the guitarists that play on that video with him? Bruce & Chris? Bruce & Paul? Just curious.

Last edited by Rich on Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:45 pm
Viking Kong

Ryan wrote:

Well I'll be darned. This whole time I thought Scott was hittin' a fryin' pan.

:lol:

Rich L. wrote:
Who are the guitarists that play on that video with him? Bruce & Chris? Bruce & Paul? Just curious.

Bruce and Chris are featured on all of the videos - including Scott's drum video and Bruce's guitar video. On the back of John's video, it introduces Chris as "guest guitarist."

Okamiyama wrote:
Rich L. wrote:
...When he flipped to side b, Scarified, I absolutely loved the beginning drum beat when Scott hits something (not quite a cowbell). That song just wasted ass! We nick-named it "the frying pan song". Scarified would have been much faster. Just what DID Scott hit, anyway?
Nothing. The drummer on "Street Lethal" was Harry Gschoesser. But I wonder what that noise was, too.

Scarified was on Second Heat.

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:49 pm
Viking Kong

Man, I always thought Oni Logan was brilliant on Lynch Mob! I had no idea 'till about 2 weeks ago (on this website) that he replaced Jeff for that short time. What I wouldn't give to see some of that live footage, if it even exists! Not that Jeff wasn't good for this band. (Must admit, I thought Jeff's vocals improved tremendously with Tech. Difficulties.) Great job, Jeff!

Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:10 pm
Godzilla

Scarified was on Second Heat.
D'oh! That ought to teach me to be Mr. Smarty Pants!

Sat Jul 31, 2004 8:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]