View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Future Of Paul & Racer X 
Dr. X

Post The Future Of Paul & Racer X
I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but after MUCH listening to 'Getting Heavier' I hear alot of Rush's 'Hemispheres' in Paul's playing. I think that's cool because I'm a huge Rush fan and I wonder if Paul is a fan of Rush and/or the album 'Hemispheres'?

I'd love to see Racer X and/or Paul do a concept album something along the lines of 'Hemispheres', '2112', or 'Dark Side Of The Moon' in the future.

It would be cool to hear Paul do a "Stairway To Heaven" or "Comfortably Numb" song with a long and moving guitar solo at the end.

A 2CD concept album by Racer X would really wet our pants! :D

Antonio
Chicago, IL

Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:12 pm
Site Admin

A 2 CD concept album would sell about 2 CD's.

-Chad

Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:15 pm
Viking Kong

Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:20 pm
Profile YIM
Dr. X

A 2 CD concept album would sell about 2 CD's.

-Chad

Oh c'mon Chad. You mean to tell me that Racer X couldn't even sell a 2CD set? Whether it be concept or not? Japanese rock fans love that stuff.
It wouldn't suck like the Smashing Pumpkins 2CDer. You wouldn't buy a 2CD Racer X set? I know record labels frown on 2CD sets (unless they're a 'Best Of'), but the X-Men could some cool stuff.

Yeah, ok, so I'm still stuck in the 70's with my 'Physical Graffit's' and 'Dark Side Of The Moon's' and before anyone else has a laugh keep in mind that I was born in the same year as Paul. :twisted:

Even though Paul plays an Ibanez he still sounds more like a Les Paul player. That's what I love about the man. It's not Van Halen 24/7. I never got into Van Halen. It was always Jimmy Page, David Gilmour, Tom Scholtz, Pat Travers, Brian Robertson, John Sykes, Randy Rhoads.

It's just a suggestion, but I'd like to see Paul and the X-Men do something with a concept.

Peace! :D

Antonio
Chicago, IL

Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:50 pm
Site Admin

I hear ya man. I guess it's just an increasing frustration over the boys not sellin' or playing here in the states due to distributioin and what not.

Rock!

-Chad

Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:21 am
Dr. X

Have you or Ken ever suggested to the X-Men if they would be interested in doing a MetalSludge questionaire? I know those guys at Sludge can be ***holes, but if gets more people into Racer X then it would pay off. Might even sell a few hundred or thousand extra CDs.

Antonio

Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:34 am
Dr. X

I was wondering about a concept album. I reckon they should stay away from it. they are just a great metal/rock band, they don't need to do fancy stuff. like I've heard about Getting Heavier, the beauty of it is that there are no over-dubs going on.....

Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:57 am
Profile ICQ
God Of The Sun

Post Yeah.
Id personally love to hear them bring some old stuff back, if thats what you mean. Playing some Zeppelin, Floyd, or Rush songs would be great to listen to. Im not sure if you meant that, or just having them do a cd that has qualities of the old bands.

The #1 Queensryche Source

Sun Mar 30, 2003 3:40 am
Motorman

Post Re: The Future Of Paul & Racer X
Antonio wrote:
I don't know if anyone else noticed this, but after MUCH listening to 'Getting Heavier' I hear alot of Rush's 'Hemispheres' in Paul's playing. I think that's cool because I'm a huge Rush fan and I wonder if Paul is a fan of Rush and/or the album 'Hemispheres'?

Antonio
Chicago, IL

Paul is a HUGE fan of Rush. I have a clinic on tape where Paul mentions that he can play almost every Rush song in existence. He used to play a game on the Mr. Big tour bus called, "Is it ... or is it not a Rush tune?" He'd jam a riff, then ask that question. The clinic crowd wanted to play so he played some obvious Rush tunes. When everyone thought it was an easy game, Paul stumped EVERYONE in the crowd with a really obscure Def Leppard tune.

Can Paul be cooler? I submit that he cannot.

RJ

PS - ...and for the record, I'd buy three copies of that double concept CD from RX.

Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:42 am
Dr. X

On his next solo album Paul should do something in the vein of 'Abbey Road'...where the songs flow into one another. That would be cool since most of his solo stuff has that Beatles-esque (is that correct?) sound.

Antonio
Chicago, IL

Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:14 pm
Godzilla

Ardge wrote:
Antonio wrote:

Antonio
Chicago, IL

Paul is a HUGE fan of Rush. I have a clinic on tape where Paul mentions that he can play almost every Rush song in existence. He used to play a game on the Mr. Big tour bus called, "Is it ... or is it not a Rush tune?" He'd jam a riff, then ask that question. The clinic crowd wanted to play so he played some obvious Rush tunes. When everyone thought it was an easy game, Paul stumped EVERYONE in the crowd with a really obscure Def Leppard tune.

Can Paul be cooler? I submit that he cannot.

RJ

PS - ...and for the record, I'd buy three copies of that double concept CD from RX.

Didn't Mr. Big open for Rush at one point?

Sun Mar 30, 2003 10:11 pm
Godzilla

I think they did open for Rush back in the days.

I personally like the idea. But they are too good of a song writers I would wanna hear their own stuff before they do a concept album

Mon Mar 31, 2003 12:59 am
Viking Kong

Geddy Lee is also one of John Alderete's influences. It'd be some good stuff to hear.

No idea what Scott Travis thinks of Neil Peart...

However I've never heard Hemispheres, so I cant compare the two albums.

Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:22 am
Site Admin

However I've never heard Hemispheres, so I cant compare the two albums.

WHAT? Hemisperes is by far Rush's best album. It was the album that crossed them over from By Tor The Snow dog and Working Man type songs...to more progressive type writing.

No Rush fan is without Hemispheres...that's like being a Racer X fan and say "I've never heard Extreme Volume I or II."

Regards,
Ken

Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:14 am
Profile WWW
Motorman

GTRMAN wrote:

I think they opened for Rush on two different tours. I know for certain that they were on Rush's "Presto" tour. On Raw Like Sushi 1, Eric talks up the beginning of Merciless. He mentions the "Presto" tour. This was during the "Mr. Big" album era. I believe it was the following Rush tour when Mr. Big again opened for them. This was Rush's "Roll The Bones" tour and was Mr. Big's "Lean Into It" era.

RJ

Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:09 am
Viking Kong

Ardge wrote:
GTRMAN wrote:

I think they opened for Rush on two different tours. I know for certain that they were on Rush's "Presto" tour. On Raw Like Sushi 1, Eric talks up the beginning of Merciless. He mentions the "Presto" tour. This was during the "Mr. Big" album era. I believe it was the following Rush tour when Mr. Big again opened for them. This was Rush's "Roll The Bones" tour and was Mr. Big's "Lean Into It" era.

RJ

[Ed McMahon voice ON] "YES!!! You are correct sir..."...X :twisted:

Mon Mar 31, 2003 6:57 pm
King Of The Monsters

It would be cool, but I don´t know if it would be "commercially" good....even though I would buy that album

Mon Mar 31, 2003 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
is O.H.B.

I am predicting either a Mr. Big reunion or some other mega project with Paul and Billy in the near future. I may be wrong, but my spider sense is tingling.

Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:26 am
Motorman

The next Paul Gilbert band / project I predict will be a band called "WE ARE FUQIN AWESOME"

Paul Gilbert - Guitar / Vocals
Butch Walker - Guitar / Vocals
Bif Naked - Vocals
Taylor Hawkins - Drums
Kip Winger - Bass / Vocals

Ardge

PS - My KristyRay sense is tingling. I am gonna have to call ya again soon. :)

Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:03 am
Dr. X

In response to Ryan's post "No idea what Scott Travis thinks of Neil Peart..." I'd be willing to bet that Neil is a huge influence on Scott. Evidence of this can be found on Live Extreme Volume I in Scott's drum solo. Some of that snare drum rolling work is vintage Neil. That's one crazy solo!!!

MR. SCOTT TRAVIS ON THE DRUM KITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wed Apr 02, 2003 5:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next